What Advantages Does Preventive Dental Care Provide?
Do you consider visits to your dentist only when you have a toothache or other dental issues? Do you know you can avoid discomfort and save money if you seek preventive dental services routinely? When matters related to dental care are concerned, you find yourself in a better situation if you are proactive with your dental care. If you don’t know about preventive dental services, we suggest you learn about the advantages of these services from this article.
Preventive Dentistry Explained
Preventive dentistry is about caring for your teeth and gums to avoid severe issues later. The umbrella of preventive care includes various treatments such as dental cleanings, x-rays, and fluoride therapy. The treatments benefit you and your family by preventing a host of problems. They are:
- Prevent Cavities: the best benefit of preventive dentistry is that regular visits to your dentist help prevent the formation of holes in your teeth. You might have excellent dental hygiene practices, but can you guarantee you can reach every nook and corner of your mouth with your toothbrush and dental floss? If you can’t, getting your teeth professionally cleaned helps eliminate plaque and tartar buildup to help avoid painful cavities. Dentists can also help you prevent cavities by providing dental sealants to protect your teeth from developing holes.
- Gum Disease Prevention: the risk of gum disease like gingivitis increases significantly when you don’t allow plaque and tartar accumulation on your teeth and beneath the gum line. If gingivitis causes inflammation of your gums, it silently progresses to periodontitis, a severe condition with the potential to destroy your jawbone. The earlier your dentist detects gum disease, the sooner they can help you eliminate the infection to keep your gums healthy. In addition, preventive practices like getting fluoride treatments can help you avoid gum disease by preventing enamel erosion, making it comfortable to battle disease-causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Eliminate Lousy Breath: bad breath doesn’t merely cause embarrassment but indicates signs of decay or infection. If you are constantly struggling with lousy breath preventive treatments like regular dental cleanings can help you overcome the issue and solve it.
- Detect Jaw Problems Early: You might not realize you have bruxism causing you to grind and clench your teeth or TMJ disorders resulting in jaw misalignment and severe pressure headaches. Your dentist can detect signs of these disorders to make you custom-created appliances that prevent the problems from worsening.
- Avoiding Severe Health Issues: Many severe health problems start from your mouth. Tooth decay and poor dental hygiene can result in inflammation throughout your body, putting you at risk for health problems. The issues emanating from your dental hygiene routine make it comfortable for mouth bacteria to enter your bloodstream. Some conditions that might affect you because of poor dental hygiene include diabetes, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease, and cancer. Poor oral hygiene also results in premature birth and low birth weight in pregnant women.
- Prevent the Need for Extensive Treatments: If you dislike dental visits for preventive dental care in Hamilton, ON, because you find the cleaning process uncomfortable, you must endure much more if you decide to avoid dental visits. However, when you schedule six monthly visits to your dentist for the cleaning, you will likely never require intensive treatments costing you substantially and causing unnecessary pain.
- Prevent Injuries: If you are involved in sporting activities like cycling or playing contact sports, your dentist can provide a mouthguard custom-created to safeguard your teeth and gums during your favourite activities. Protecting your teeth is more comfortable and cheaper than repairing them after getting involved in accidents or suffering impacts on your mouth.
- Save Money: When you visit your dentist for preventive care every six months, you don’t just spend money but put it aside for later. Even if you possess dental insurance, the provider pays for cleanings twice a year, ensuring the limitation of out-of-pocket expenses when you visit your dentist for other treatments. If you don’t possess dental insurance paying for cleanings is far cheaper twice a year than spending money on dental fillings, root canals or implants if you avoid dental visits for years because of your negligence.
Preventive dental care requires you to brush and floss your teeth and schedule six monthly appointments with your dentist as a preventive measure to help against infections developing in your mouth. Therefore if you haven’t visited your dentist for over a year, kindly schedule your appointment with Jackson Square Dental Center to have your mouth examined and cleaned to take advantage of the benefits of preventive dental care.